Saturday 30 November 2013

Christmassy stuff :)

I'm nowhere near as prolific as others when it comes to making Christmas gifts but that might be because it took me 12 hours this week to make one advent calendar! One down (being collected in an hour) and one to go (giving to Jessica and her sisters tomorrow) ... Last minute Jen strikes again :)

These really are lovely to make, though there's a lot of fiddling about (and burnt fingertips!) ironing all the pockets. The panel is made by Makower and the instructions are very easy to follow. Just add batting, backing fabric and binding ... a mini quilt, really:



I used a gold thread to topstitch the pockets:


The back is a linen fabric I've had in my stash for ages - felt good to use it up and it matches:




And last night, I finished the top of my niece's Christmas Throw (thanks dear Lorna for the comment on what to call my 'thingy'!):


I am ready to start the next calendar:


I have some help today:


Linking up with Amanda Jean @ Crazy Mom Quilts and Sarah @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict:


10 comments:

  1. That's such a cute calendar. Enjoy your sewing with your helper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love the advent calendar. Thanks for sharing the close-ups. Your label is perfect too. The throw is looking lovely too. (The simpler center is really nice.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, you've just reminded me I haven't bought the chocolates for our advent calendar... Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've got some fabric for making an advent calendar somewhere, if I remember correctly I couldn't work out how to make it so stuffed it in a box.
    Yours is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just over an hour for me to finish mine! Great last minute work Glinda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute helper and the calender is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those advent calendars, but haven't got the patience! Leave them to my Mum who has made loads, I bought 5 for her to do at a quilt show I went to today. Love the quilt top too. I have been busy making a Christmas stocking this evening with my new fabric :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful projects. Sweet kitty helper ... <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute angel on your advent calendar! Love the Christmas throw - it's turning out very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful calendar... I have that backing fabric too and it has also been in my stash for ages! Must make something with it for Christmas :) My daughter loved your last bee strip and even recognised some of her pants bag fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, I know it takes time to write them but they make me smile so thank you for dropping by :)