Thursday 21 May 2015

Hitting the right note ...

Do you ever get that excited feeling? When you start making a new quilt and you just know it's going to be a good one? I have that feeling about my 'Piano Quilt' and I really can't wait to get at it again today.

My boss is retiring after 37 years and I wanted to make him a special quilt. I know he plays the piano and enjoys many a soirée at his home entertaining his guests, so I did a Google search for musical themed fabric. There wasn't a lot (in the UK) so I narrowed the search to 'piano quilt'.

And now I am so happy! It is perfect:


I couldn't find a pattern anywhere so have been working just from the image. I bought some new fabric (as you do!) but also used a lot from my stash: 



12 x 14 is a lot of squares to cut. I never clear up as I go along! Do you?


I made the piano keys first - figuring that once they were made, it would be easier to build around. They were fiddly and time-consuming and my fingers got very close to the iron! But the overall effect is worth it:






Just the rest of it to piece today then! You can check out my progress on Instagram (@glindaquilts) but I will blog about it too :)


Linking up with the lovely Lorna and Lee:

Sew Fresh Quilts

11 comments:

  1. Great quilt idea! It is coming along really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely! I'm sure your boss will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is turning out great! Good job figuring it out. I do have to clean up along the way, I have a hard time with clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOoooh I love this! Can't wait to see it all finished. It made me think of my Uncle who was a wonderful pianist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is going to be an amazing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt! I can't believe how creative you are. Those keys are just fantastic! I am loving the colours you choose it really sets off the piano. Another winner you have there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, que original queda ese piano.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fabulous idea for a quilt, Jennifer. Your progress is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it.
    I bought piano key fabric to do something similar. Not yet started. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... I always over-complicate my quilts ... couldn't help myself when I saw the picture, I just had to make it! Good luck with yours, Meloney and thanks for dropping by 👍🏻😀

      Delete
  10. That looks amaaaaaaaazing! Go you! cant wait to see how this turns out :)

    PS need some scraps? I have loads!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, I know it takes time to write them but they make me smile so thank you for dropping by :)