Wednesday 13 September 2017

Autumnal Squirrels

So, no blog posts for four months then two in a week! 

Two reasons - I'm at home this week (as opposed to working in London) so have more time and as I've made a quilt top using Lorna's Squirrel pattern, it's only right I post about it and join her linky party. 

I have bought a few of Lorna's patterns (do please check them out - she's amazing) but hadn't yet got round to making them ... my Mum's friend's 70th birthday next month was my motivation. Mum and Christine will actually be staying with us on her birthday and she loves nothing more in the morning than sitting by the bedroom window looking out at the menagerie of birds, rabbits and squirrels that we feed each day.

Perfect recipient! I started by making two squirrels;


Aren't they cute? I can't tell you how easy they were to make. Lorna's pictures and words were just enough to guide me through. 

Then I stopped ... did I want to make more squirrels or did I want to build a quilt around them? One of my quilty friends suggested an acorn. Inspired ... I went Google searching and found this fabby tutorial by Lisa at Stubbornly Crafty. I added a pop of Moda Grunge orange:


Now what? I raided my scraps and stash and cut out a load of 5" squares:



Some of these are vintage fabrics that belonged to my Great Aunt in USA and I loved playing with the placing - I made six 4x4 blocks:


And then I joined it all together. I love it! Please ignore green bedsheet - so thankful the spare bedroom is next to my sewing room :) It's as if the squirrels are fighting for the acorn whilst playing in the autumn garden:



Not sure whether it needs a border - it's a perfect lapsize quilt as is so I'll think about it for a few days. Would you add a border? 

Thank you Lorna - clever lady - joining you for Let's Bee Social 


Sew Fresh Quilts

4 comments:

  1. Cute combination of patterns and great way to use vintage material. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! It looks like they are in competition for the acorn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so gorgeous! I purchased the squirrel pattern but haven't used it yet. This is inspiring. I wish we had squirrels in Australia! But the native animals are cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love Lorna's squirrels, and you have made the sweetest use of them! I kinda like it as is, and let the binding "be the border"? But borders certainly wouldn't hurt a thing either! This is just so cute!!What a wonderful gift this is!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, I know it takes time to write them but they make me smile so thank you for dropping by :)